Niki Caro - WRITER/DIRECTOR: Whale Rider, Mcfarland USA, The Zookeeper's wife
"I first worked with Joan Scheckel when she acted as script consultant on WHALE RIDER. We did not meet face to face for many months as I was in New Zealand, but during that time the script grew deeper and stronger under her influence. She brings insight and clarity to every project she works on. She has a deep understanding of the architecture of a story and is as rigorous with structure as she is with character. She is both challenging and caring and is an invaluable partner on any project. Working with her is thrilling and I cannot recommend it highly enough."
WHAT IS IT?
The Plot Lab is a full on, craft intensive workshop designed to take your screenplay to the next level. It reveals the core storytelling tool essential to The Technique™: Plot Points. Slow down and go deep with Plot itself, learn exactly what Plot is, and how to structure your story in a clear, compelling way that lands not just in the mind, but in the heart. Come learn how to clarify your story structure and put your plot into play!
- Clarify the overall actions and plot points beat by beat to bring your film unforgettably to life.
- Learn how to tell your story clearly, specifically and with meaning to connect with global audiences.
- Deepen your awareness of how meaning, action and plot connect
These fundamental skills are central to Joan's work on hits like Transparent, Little Miss Sunshine, Beginners and Whale Rider and many more. Now you can experience The Technique™ and profoundly connect to the feeling, emotional depth, and rhythm of your story.
WHAT DOES IT COVER?
Day 1: Structure Is Action
Plot is a roller coaster ride through a Truth. Learn how to:
- Use action to build a Plot that is gettable and visceral
- Create a Plot using actions that earn MEANING, not Conflict.
- Spot and avoid the common sandtraps that erode Plot
Day 2: Plot or Not
Embody Plot Points. Learn how to:
- Deliver Plot Points in your writing, acting and directing
- Use tools and exercises to get the Plot out of your head and onto the screen
- Create Plot through multiple relationships, not just the binary of antagonist, protagonist
Day 3: Building Your Story
Take the ride. Once you’ve got the basics of plot points, action, relationship and meaning, put it all together. Learn how to:
- Keep the story moving forward, so it doesn’t flatline, repeat or fall apart
- Know when you’ve actually got a plot that WORKS
- Connect to your audiences through action surprise, feeling and truth
The Plot Lab is designed for Film, Episodic, Commercial and all content creators. It may be attended individually by the Writer, Director or Producer...or by the entire Team.
LOS ANGELES: Coming soon!
Los Angeles Theatre Center
514 S Spring St, Los Angeles, CA 90013
Rehearsal Room 5C - Fifth Floor
Maplink: Click here.
Class size is limited. Apply now.
LOS ANGELES: Coming soon!
For application call us at (323) 803-5039 or Email us.