JILL SOLOWAY - WRITER/DIRECTOR: TRANSPARENT (GOLDEN GLOBE WINNER, EMMY AWARD WINNER) AFTERNOON DELIGHT (WINNER BEST DIRECTOR SUNDANCE 2013)
"Joan gave me a Technique, she handed me a map with clear markings that made sense… Although I had been writing TV for many years and went to film school in college, I had no actual technique. I had a shot list and a hope for the best, but I didn’t have something to do when I got to the set...I came into most of my power as a filmmaker when I realized that all I needed to do was make a safe space for people to have feelings."
What is it?
There's never been a better time to be a content maker. The doors are open, the rules are shattered and the demand for authentic content is at an all time high. Our industry demands innovation. Your episodic is no longer hemmed in by the traditional notions of comedy or drama, half hour or hour, commercial breaks, a stories, b stories, buttons, (conventional) heroes, likeable characters and hopeful endings.
So what’s YOUR Story? How are you changing the cultural narrative by bringing your own story to the screen?
Over a 3 day weekend intensive, The Episodic Lab will teach you how to use meaning, action and feeling to create compelling episodic structures that are uniquely your own. First, you will learn the same paradigm shifting tools and concepts at the core of the Emmy Award Winning Transparent. Then, using Season 1 as a case study, Joan will reveal how to:
- Define the emotional core of your story in simple, actionable terms
- Use Overall Actions to structure a meaningful plot
- Craft ensemble scripts with equally strong arcs for every character
- Create a compelling journey that breaks out over multiple episodes
- Think outside of outmoded industry standards and create the content of TODAY!
WHAT DOES IT COVER?
Day 1: ACTION
- Set up the theme through Action, not exposition
- Deliver the theme through Overall Action and Relationship
- Create Action that illuminates the inner life of the Characters
Day 2: JOURNEY
- Build through a dramatic crisis using the actions of awareness, not conflict
- Craft clear and compelling plot points, scene by scene
- Create plot twists that advance the story, deepen the characters and transform the relationships
Day 3: MEANING
- Use Action to create a roller coaster ride through a truth
- Craft a profound transformation for your characters and your audience
- Write truly exciting, playable episodes that embody meaning
The Episodic Lab is designed for Film, Episodic, Commercial and all content creators. It may be attended individually by the Writer, Director, Producer, Execs...or by the entire Film Team.
LOS ANGELES: FRI APR 05 - SUN APR 07
LOS ANGELES: FRI SEPT 13 - SUN SEPT 15
Class size is limited. Apply now.
Apr Application deadline - WED APR 03
Sept Application deadline - WED SEPT 11
For application call us at (323) 803-5039 or Email us.