JOEY SOLOWAY - WRITER/DIRECTOR: TRANSPARENT (GOLDEN GLOBE WINNER, EMMY AWARD WINNER) AFTERNOON DELIGHT (WINNER BEST DIRECTOR SUNDANCE 2013)
"Joan gave me a Technique, she handed me a map with clear markings that made sense… Although I had been writing TV for many years and went to film school in college, I had no actual technique. I had a shot list and a hope for the best, but I didn’t have something to do when I got to the set...I came into most of my power as a filmmaker when I realized that all I needed to do was make a safe space for people to have feelings."
What is it?
There's never been a better time to be a content maker. The doors are open, the rules are shattered and the demand for authentic content is at an all time high. Our industry demands innovation. Your episodic is no longer hemmed in by the traditional notions of comedy or drama, half hour or hour, commercial breaks, a stories, b stories, stereotypical heroes, likable characters and hopeful endings.
So what’s YOUR Story? How are you changing the cultural narrative by bringing your own story to the screen?
Over this 3 day weekend intensive, The Episodic Lab will teach you how to use meaning, action and feeling to create compelling episodic structures that are uniquely your own. First, you will learn the same paradigm shifting tools and concepts at the core of the Emmy Award Winning Transparent. As this hit comes to a close, let's celebrate how it all began! Using Season 1 as a case study, Joan will reveal how to:
- Define the emotional core of your story in simple, actionable terms
- Use Overall Actions to structure a meaningful plot
- Craft ensemble scripts with equally strong arcs for every character
- Create a compelling journey that breaks out over multiple episodes
- Think outside of outmoded industry standards and create the content of TODAY!
Check out this video for a brief intro to Joan's work: “Influencing Transparent”: Click Here
JSFL Alums have gone on to work on today's cutting edge hits such as Lovecraft Country, Queen Sugar, Greenleaf, Mrs. America, Sharp Objects, Russian Doll, Watchmen, The Great, Big Little Lies, The Handmaid’s Tale, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, Council of Dads, Star, When They See Us, Dear White People, You're the Worst, Killing Eve, Sorry for Your Loss, Shrill, Glow, Defiant Ones, Silicon Valley and many more. The singular voices of these artists are transforming Hollywood today, and so can you!
WHAT DOES IT COVER?
Day 1: MEANING
- The Foundational Elements of The Technique™
- The 5 Table Legs
- The 3 Basic Working Principles
- The Nugget (Meaning) that underpins the Emmy Award Winning Transparent, Season 1.
Use this info to:
- Rethink the “rules” of narrative Structure
- Put the meaning of your story in simple, gettable, actionable terms
- Understand how meaning is embodied on the levels of the Mise-en-scène germane to Transparent, Season 1
Day 2: ACTION
- What an Overall Action is and how it drives your Story
- How to find Overall Actions that are based on Meaning, not Conflict
- How to combine Overall Actions and Meaning to unleash powerful, authentic scenes
- How to deepen your story through the use of Inner and Outer Obstacles
- How exactly Meaning, Overall Actions, and Obstacles were used to structure Transparent Season 1
Use this info to:
- Create multi character narratives with equally compelling storylines
- Free yourself from the typical antagonist/protagonist conflict based models
- Create unforgettable, meaningful stories you can FEEL
Day 3: JOURNEY
- Use the tool of Emotional Logic to craft the Arc of your Series
- Understand the relationship between Feeling, Rhythm, Pace and Journey
- Craft profound transformations for your characters and your audience
- Understand the 5 Emotional Beats used to craft Transparent, Season 1
Use this info to:
- Think outside of the Hero’s Journey box
- Write episodes of ANY length, short to long
- Craft a compelling series that reveals the inner lives of your characters
Episodic is a crash course on profound structures that really sing. Critical for creators and executives looking to break form and MAKE CHANGE!
The Episodic Lab is designed for Film, Episodic, Commercial and all content creators. It may be attended individually by the Writer, Director, Producer, Execs...or by the entire Team.
EPISOIC LAB (PACIFIC TIME ZONE)
ONLINE: APR 16 - 18
FRI 04/16 4:00 - 7:00PM PT
SAT 04/17 12:00 - 6:00PM PT
SUN 04/18 2:00 - 6:00PM PT
EUROPE EPISODIC LAB (EUROPEAN TIME ZONE)
ONLINE: MAY 12 - 14
FRI 05/12 4:00 - 8:00PM CET (8am - 12pm PT)
SAT 05/13 4:00 - 8:00PM CET (8am - 12pm PT)
SUN 05/14 4:00 - 8:00PM CET (8am - 12pm PT)
The focused attention from Joan online is as powerful as you'd experience in the rooms!
Class size is limited. Apply now.
Apr Application Deadline: WED 04/14
May Europe Application Deadline: MON 05/10
For application call us at (323) 803-5039 or Email us.