Jonathan Dayton and Valerie Faris - Directors: Little Miss Sunshine, Ruby sparks
"Working with Joan Scheckel was the single most valuable thing we did to prepare for making Little Miss Sunshine. She gave us a set of tools that made the daunting task of directing a feature very accessible (even enjoyable!) She has a unique ability to inspire each of the directors she works with to build on their strengths, and correct bad habits. Her candid approach whether in private sessions or workshops, wastes no time and gets right to the heart of the matter and produces real results."
WHAT IS IT?
- Identify the "Nugget" (theme) of your story
- Create a coherent "motor" for your movie
- Define the direction for your rewrite
Learn what it takes to create the heart of a Hit!
WHAT DOES IT COVER?
Day 1: INVESTIGATE
- Investigate the issues and feelings central to your theme
- Find the "hot coals" embedded in your timed writings
- Understand how to use "hot coals" to create the narrative from your inner life
Day 2: EMBODY
- Hone your timed writing into one key essence
- Articulate your story "Nugget" in felt, actionable terms
- Put your "Nugget" on its feet to discern how a theme becomes truly playable
Day 3: CONNECT
Day 3 explores the vital connection between action, feeling and meaning.
- Explore how the "Nugget" has been used in hits like "Transparent", "Little Miss Sunshine" and "Beginners"
- Hone your own story "Nugget"
- Embody the actions that earn dramatic Truth.
The 3 Day Lab: Nugget is designed for Film, Episodic, Commercial and all content creators. It may be attended individually by the Writer, Director or Producer...or by the entire Film Team. 3 Day Labs: Action is a required prerequisite for this lab.
Nov. 12-14, 2021
For application call us at (323) 803-5039 or Email us.